[nfb-talk] NLS digital player

Ed Meskys edmeskys at roadrunner.com
Tue Dec 22 00:43:10 UTC 2009

I just got my new NLS digital player and need some advice on its uses.

I asked a lower tier employee at the NH library about how future magazines will be distributed. She said they will be sent out by email, and you will use a USB cable to feed it into a blank digital cartridge in your player. She was not positive about this. Was she correct?

If so, when I get a magazine on a CD from an agency like Seeing Eye or Xavier Society, can I transfer it to such a cartridge, for playback in the NLS player? Will I be able to speed this recording up, as I can an NLS book?

I understand that today blank cartridges cost around $40, but do not know where to buy one. I am interested in buying one now to last me until prices come down. Can anyone suggest a dealer who would give me a reasonable deal?

Thanks, Ed Meskys