[nfb-talk] The Word Blind

peggy elliott delliott at pcpartner.net
Mon Feb 23 02:47:09 UTC 2009

            We in the Federation have held two fundamental beliefs: that
most blind people misunderstand the word blindness and its significance to
our self-image and that the public equally misunderstands the term. We have
vigorously set ourselves the task of changing both our own understanding of
the word and that of the public.

            I liken the Federation to walking a path. No one can walk that
path for another person, but thousands can help any blind person make
progress along the path. As Jim Omvig describes in his January Monitor
article, the first steps on the path involve coming to understand what
blindness really is as opposed to what the public or we used to think,
coming to understand that it is merely a characteristic rather than a
devastating and complete change and diminution of who we are. Every blind
person who wants to change and grow as advocated by the Federation simply
has to start there or those diminishing attitudes remain a part of the
person's self-image and hold the person back from achieving freedom. Getting
used to and re-understanding the word blind is a key initial part of that
process.

            I remember Dr. Jernigan routinely asking people how long they
had been blind with the purpose of getting people to start re-thinking the
term. He fully intended to help with the re-thinking, and he profoundly
understood the reaction that he got from most people who rejected the term
and argued with him that they were not blind. He kept at it, believing that
helping the person understand their reaction to the term would help them
begin the process of change and growth.

            Each of us can play the same role, each with our own personality
and way of saying things, by helping fellow blind people begin to change and
grow. But we can't do it by dropping the term blind off the table or by
soft-soaping it to such a degree that we sort of never get around to it.
Apparently some people reading Jim Omvig's article achieved the exact
misunderstanding he warned against and have concluded that use of the word
blind should be downplayed and softened.

            I don't agree, and I am sure Jim does not either since he talks
so feelingly of his fourteen wasted years during which he did everything he
could do to avoid the word and was also stuck on his front porch until
someone got him to grapple with his misunderstandings. Until he could
confront the word blind, Jim could not walk off that front porch and start
to walk the path. Once he did, he did, and thousands helped him.

            What we Federationists can offer our fellow blind men and women
is the chance to walk that path with friends and supporters. If we choose
instead never to make the offer and accept that people losing vision are
sensitive about the word blind as an excuse never quite to bring up the
subject, then we have abandoned the task of helping others walk the path.
The task is not an easy one, and not everybody thanks us for making the
offer. But I've had experience after experience  over the years of people
initially rejecting the offer only to come back later and say that, without
it, they never would have gotten started. The first person I ever
encountered who had such an experience was me, and I've known hundreds,
maybe thousands since then. It all starts with confronting the attitudes
behind the word, and it can never start without that.

            If we decide it is our job to decide who is ready to admit they
are blind and who is not, then we run the risk of withholding from others
the gift we were given. I think the gift of the Federation is only effective
when given on to others, and I don't think I should assign myself the job of
deciding who is ready and who is not. Maybe agency professionals think that
way, but I don't, believing instead that every blind person is entitled to
the gift of understanding. Everyone will walk the path and achieve the
understanding at his or her own rate. But, saying that we should not use the
word blind with people losing their sight  because their understanding about
blindness is not at all at our level because they are still coming to grips
with losing their vision contains for me a fundamental flaw. To me, that's
taking an agency approach, the specific context Jim Omvig mentions, setting
up the possessor of understanding as the judge of when the newly-blind
person is ready to receive that understanding. I liken this flaw to an
approach to literacy. We don't let kids who don't want to read to opt out of
learning, though we use different approaches with different kids. In the
same way, we should be giving the gift of understanding to every blind
person and not waiting to decide when the gift might be accepted. For every
person losing vision who rejects the gift, another embraces it and skips
years of living in limbo. For every person who isn't given the gift as soon
as possible, we are delaying that person's opportunity to start the
re-thinking process. I spent four years in that limbo, knowing I couldn't
see but not wanting to confront it. I know people who lived there much
longer and, though they may have initially rejected the concept, would have
come much quicker to understand and appreciate their talents if someone had
given them straight information. I sure don't want to be the cause of
someone living extra years in limbo just because I think their understanding
isn't "on my level."

This is why I believe  that our Federation approach is the right one.
Perhaps people serving in agencies think they need to take a different
approach though I don't agree with that, either. I hope the Federation never
does.

            Likewise, we in the Federation have never been daunted by the
fact that the world around us looks at the term blind differently from the
way we do. Take that old saying about the blind men and the elephant. Hasn't
it always irritated you? Think about it for a minute. Here's a bunch of
blind guys, each with their hand on a different part of the elephant, each
verbalizing that the animal he grasps is this or that or the other thing.
Now, think again. Do these guys never converse? Do they never move around
and check out different parts of the animal? Do they never pool knowledge
and figure out there are places they can't touch but that the details come
together to identify an elephant? Only if they are not Federationists,
unused to working together and too afraid to move about independently. May
we never be those blind guys.

            Instead, I hope we continue to be determined to change the
meaning of the term blind in the minds of the public. No one ever said it
was an easy task we have set ourselves, pitched as it is against the
intuition of helplessness without sight and the power of centuries of
literature. In fact, we can draw on Dr. Jernigan again here to balance the
scale in his speeches about history and literature and in his lifetime
determination to change in the mind of the public the meaning of the word. I
don't like people assuming I don't know where I'm going or can't understand
simple concepts or need to be shouted at or need a hand-out any more than
Dr. Jernigan did, and I agree with him that the only way to change that kind
of treatment is to change what people think of when they think of the term
blind. Or, as he used to say, until all of us are free, then none of us is
free, meaning to me that so long as one of us is assumed to be incompetent,
then that same assumption can be applied to us all

So, I don't agree that Jim Omvig advocates leaving the word blind behind and
I don't agree that we need to do that to interest people in the Federation
and I don't agree that we should abandon the effort to change what it means
when people say the word blind and I most emphatically wish we could replace
that stupid story about the helpless blind men with the story of the blind
guys who teamed up, figured out in 42 seconds that it was an elephant, and
then set about figuring out how to ride it to freedom.