[nfb-talk] The Word Blind

Ray Foret jr rforetjr at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 15:44:22 UTC 2009

Michael is quite correct.  To speak frankly Peggy, whether we like it or
not.

1.  We live in a sighted society; thus, we cannot always expect the sighted
world to adapt to us.

2.  In that same spirit of frankness, we can't always go around in a "warm
camp mentality".  We have to realize this.  IF we are as "normal" as we
claim we are, this means we need to be able to allow other sighted people to
laugh at us (only when appropriate of course) and laugh at ourselves.  There
was a little bit of a debate in the Monitor about this very subject.  Are we
going to be so damn stiff and serious as  federationists that no one wants
to be around us?  I ask this frankly because I almost left the federation
over this very issue.  I decided to stay because I figured that I would
rather stay with an organization which, while not perfect, came much closer
to my own beliefs about blindness than the ACB ever could.

3.  While the above points are true, there is yet another.  We do have the
right to have some adaptation.  This is where reasonable accommodation comes
in.  There has to be give and take from both perspectives.

4.  Is this self contradictory?  I think not.  It's my own thinking about
the issue and I just wanted to put it out there.  I would like to have some
feedback here.

Sincerely,
The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray

"Old friend, what are you looking for?  After those many years abroad you
come With images you tended Under foreign skies Far away from your own land"
George Seferis

Phone or Fax::
+1 (985) 360-3375
Cell: