[nfb-talk] Blind woman loses discrimination claim filed over guide dog

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 25 18:59:50 UTC 2009

According to the DesMoines Register:
"The department places no limits on the use of guide dogs in other settings.
In a statement, the attorney general's office said Karen Keninger, the
department's director, uses a guide dog of her own.

The orientation program includes six months of full-time training in problem
solving skills, such as cane travel on public streets, using computers and
dealing with other situations.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090219/NEWS/90219025/1001

So it seems unlikely that they're merely anti-guide dog. But it's still
unclear if she was there for computer training or mobility training. It
looks to me as if Iowa has a program that combines both and probably the
woman wanted just the computer training. She probably wanted to skip the
cane training part and they wouldn't let her.

I dunno. This doesn't seem like a good thing to me. When I was in blind
school in Wisconsin, I was able to skip the computer part. In fact it was
the teacher who suggested it since I already had a degree in Comp Sci from
the University of Wisconsin. I just went to the cooking classes and mobility
classes, etc.