[nfb-talk] Proposal to Decrease Unemployment Among the Blind

Eddie jazzdogg1 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 27 15:13:21 UTC 2009

Dear List Members,
I would like to propose an as yet very general outline on how to improve the unemployment numbers in the blindness community.  I am open to suggestions on how this may play out in actuality.

We have heard the 70 percent unemployment statistic for the last 30 years with little or no fluctuation.  I propose a capital campaign not unlike the one initiated to build the Jernigan Institute.  The funds raised by this effort would be exclusively used to purchase access technology for blind job seekers, effectively bypassing the red tape often experienced with state departments of rehabilitation and other governmental employment agencies.  We know that employers are extremely hesitant to hire people with disabilities due to the perceived expenses involved in doing so.  This would affectively nullify that concern while demonstrating that we are some of the most dedicated and loyal workers once we obtain gainful employment.  Perhaps funds for this project could be incorporated under the umbrella of the imagination fund.  While some may argue that this effectively turns the NFB into a rehab agency, I posit that we could do this kind of work as we have undertaken every other project--with a high level of standards and expectation for our members, along with a positive philosophy of blindness. Please respond with ideas and thoughts.
Sincerely,
Eddie Salcido