[nfb-talk] Losing DVS

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 14 20:41:54 UTC 2009

As many of you probably know, DVS, Described Video Service, is available on
several PBS programs. This includes Nova, The American Experience, and
Nature. Over the years I've grown quite fond of these programs. There are
few entertainment programs available on the radio. It's mostly talk and
music. But things designed for you to sit down and listen to for an hour are
pretty rare.

This is why I was dismayed to be told that Wisconsin Public Television is
not broadcasting the DVS signal in their digital broadcast. The analog
signal has DVS. The digital signal does not. Now, obviously, Wisconsin
Public Television bears the primary responsibility for this huge step
backward. But I also place some of the blame on the NFB. No one would find
it acceptable if the transition to digital television had meant that deaf
people would lose their access to closed captioning. Closed captioning has
become part of the fabric of our society and everyone takes it for granted.
Why isn't DVS on that same level? Because the NFB opposed it.

Thanks NFB.