[nfb-talk] Losing DVS

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 14 23:12:29 UTC 2009

I already did talk to the management at Wisconsin Public Television.   There
is no timeline for instituting DVS in the digital broadcast. They simply
didn't bother to buy that equipment. Will that eventually? Maybe. Who knows?

The point I'm making is that there's a reason that DVS is considered such
marginal technology while closed captioning is not -- it's because it's not
*required*. If it was required, more blind people would know about it and it
and use it. Blind people are never going to start demanding DVS if they
don't even know what it is. And how are they going to learn what it is if
they can't even get it? Closed captioning is part of the fabric of our
society (for lack of a better term). DVS could be too someday if the NFB
stops opposing it.

Look, these PBS shows are important. They help me stay connected with the
rest of the world. Television itself, even sitcoms are important. The other
day on NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" they compared our new Surgeon
General, Sanjay Gupta to Dr. McDreamy. Dr. McDreamy is a character on a
sitcom. I'm left out of the joke if I'm not listening to TV!

We are marginalizing ourselves!We're isolating ourselves. Holy cow, if
someone tried to isolate us the way we do it ourselves I for one would be
outraged. But if it's the NFB doing it, everyone seems to think that's fine.