[nfb-talk] Fw: [A2k] Canada's Intervention at WIPO SCCR meeting

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 29 14:27:19 UTC 2009

All,

Below is a message from the access to knowledge email list. This is from a
person named James Love who works for Knowledge Ecology Incorporated. KEI is
one of the groups that created the proposed treaty to allow groups like
bookshare.org to share books worldwide rather than just within the United
States. In his message below, James explains what happened at the worldwide
convention last May when the treaty was discussed. When he mentions Tuesday,
he means Tuesday of the last week of May, 2009.

The reason I'm posting this is that the Obama administration issued a press
release about a week after the convention that some people read as progress.
I don't think so.  I do not believe that the position of the United States
has changed significantly since the events related below. My point is that
after reading about how firm the opposition to the treaty was last May, I
would not assume that the position of the United States has changed
significantly based on one fairly vaguely worded press release and that a
more realistic take would be that the press release was a diplomatic way of
saying no.