[nfb-talk] Blind baseball player "hears" his dream come trueon local Little League team

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Tue May 12 00:01:28 UTC 2009

I wasn't going to enter this thread but couldn't help mentioning one motto I
used while working -- "I don't want to play mascot".
People are sometimes so anxious to grab a token minority person as a member
of their group -- whether it's a sports team or a job or whatever, that they
don't consider that that person may have talents and abilities to do more
than just be a token.
The little boy was popular in this role because he had a positive attitude
that was infectuous -- but what if he is able to do something that would
compete with another sighted team member? How long is he going to be happy
doing nothing but act positive?
When I was a software developer there were times when things went very
smoothely and I fit in well, but other times when I got into conflicts of
interest with other group members. In particular, I once was slated to
address a large group of persons to introduce some project I was working on.
The auditorium was not accessible but was the only space available right
then. My boss turned and asked a fellow group member to carry my wheelchair
down the stairs (with me in it) so I could give the talk. The employee
objected and said that wasn't in his job description.  I also didn't want
him to do it as it is rather terrifying to go down a flight of stairs in a
wheelchair with only one person in control.  And I especially didn't want to
impose on the other employee to do something he didn't want to do.  I gave
my notes to someone else and they gave the talk. My boss was rather annoyed
that I did this but I felt it was the right thing.
Anyway, that is a negative example, and there were also positive
experiences, where people worked in harmony and complemented each others
contributions.
Anyway, off soapbox for the time being.
One of these days I'd like a thread about working in a sighted
environment -- and if some of you are also rollers (in wheelchairs), there's
that issue too.  Also if anyone knows about any technical job openings that
can be done from home, feel free to send it (private to me...*smile*...)
TIA and have a great week.
--le