[nfb-talk] Largest Newspaper Service for the Blind Now Offers Over 300 Newspapers

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Mon Oct 12 23:32:09 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

Largest Newspaper Service for the Blind
Now Offers Over 300 Newspapers

NFB-NEWSLINE® Offers Blind Individuals More Content Choice

Baltimore, Maryland (October 12, 2009): The
National Federation of the Blind announced today
that NFB-NEWSLINE®, the largest electronic
newspaper service in the world for blind and
print-disabled Americans, now gives subscribers
independent access to over three hundred
newspapers and magazines.  This free service
allows those who cannot read conventional
newsprint due to a physical disability to listen
to the newspaper over the telephone, on the web,
or by download to a digital talking-book
player.  With the addition of national
newsmagazines like Time and interest-specific
magazines like Science News to its roster of
national and local publications, NFB-NEWSLINE®
continues to cater to the increasingly divergent interests of its subscribers.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “NFB-NEWSLINE® is
truly a testament to our belief in the importance
of offering print-disabled individuals access to
the same vital information that is available to
our sighted peers.  NFB-NEWSLINE® offers
subscribers freedom of choice, and now that over
three hundred publications are available on the
service, we have more choice than ever.”

Nijat Worley, a college student from
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
/>Colorado, said: “I can't tell you how much I
enjoy being able to easily access so many
newspapers and magazines!  All I need to do is
pick up a phone or open a Web page and I can
choose to read from hundreds of publications
including my hometown newspaper or the New York
Times, my favorite national newspaper.  As a
sophomore with a double major in Political
Science and International Affairs, the variety of
news sources offered by NFB-NEWSLINE® really
helps me find material for my coursework.  Since
it’s available any time, day or night, I can read
the news in accordance with my busy schedule.”

NFB-NEWSLINE®, which began operation in 1995,
offers TV listings in addition to newspapers and
magazines to over 69,000 subscribers through
several delivery methods: a standard touch-tone
telephone, a secure, text-only Web site, or by
download to a digital talking-book player.

To experience the variety of choice offered with
NFB-NEWSLINE®, please visit
<http://www.nfbnewslineonline.org/>www.nfbnewslineonline.org.
For further information, please e-mail Scott
White at <mailto:swhite at nfb.org>swhite at nfb.org or call (866) 504-7300.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National
Federation of the Blind is the largest and most
influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves
blind people's lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the
leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004
the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.