[nfb-talk] NFB Centers and Rock Climbing

James Aldrich jajkaldrich at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 14:56:17 UTC 2009

Hello all!

Do all NFB centers insist that clients rock climb?  I'm referring to the
three NFB centers in Minnesota, Colorado, and Louisiana as well as centers
which are a part of a state's rehab program as is the case in Iowa and
Nebraska?  Can a client be exempt from this exercise due to health, age or
other complications? Have people been denied services from all of the above
agencies if they refused to rock climb or they obtained a doctor's statement
that they shouldn't engage in such activity?  What exempts people from this
activity and if they are exempt, can they still receive services from our
NFB agencies?

A friend of mine returned from one of these centers.  He has a badly
sprained leg or he has pulled ligaments in his leg!  Needless to say, he is
out of the program or is immobile for an undetermined amount of time!  This
person was otherwise happy with the program and I commend this person  for
giving it a good try but I think there comes a time when a person my age who
is twice 30 shouldn't attempt such a thing!  If I were in my 20s and 30s, I
wouldn't question this but when one is in their late 40s and beyond, I'd
question whether this is such a good idea!

Any thoughts?

Jim