[nfb-talk] NFB Centers and Rock Climbing

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 16 00:44:57 UTC 2009

Well, yes, I did get woodworking lessons at the University of Wisconsin
where I work. They have mini-courses and one of them is woodworking. Of
course, I was not a novice. I've built many things. The reason I wanted
formal training is that I wanted to make clock cases. My job status was iffy
and I thought maybe I could start a business selling clocks in hand-made
cases. I got another job though, better than the previous one in both job
satisfaction and compensation. I'd never have been able to be a professional
woodworker anyway.

Actually, my experience regarding my previous job lead me to create a
non-profit called the International Association of Visually Impaired
Technologists (IAVIT). It's not just me but I see a lot of blind computer
nerds get "backwatered". By that I mean they are not given the juicy
assignments in their company. They may be doing their job well but as
technology changes, they are not given the opportunity to get involved in
the new exciting stuff. Slowly, they become less and less important to their
employer. And then when layoffs come along, they are the ones to go. And in
a way, that is fair. After all, they are less important than their sighted
counterparts.  To a degree, that is what happened to me. I didn't allow it
to play out though. I worked evenings and weekends to learn new skills that
eventually landed me the job I have now.

But I started IAVIT to help to prevent this from happening to others. For
more information about IAVIT, see http://www.iavit.org/.