[nfb-talk] IAVIT (Was: NFB Centers and Rock Climbing)

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 16 19:33:24 UTC 2009

But I didn't say anything about discrimination.  In fact, I said it's fair
for a blind technologist who loses his technological edge to be laid off in
favor of those who have kept up with technology.  Oh, I'm sure that
discrimination plays a role. In fact, I think it would be naive to think
discrimination plays no part. But I can't do anything about that. It's not
reasonable to expect to change human nature. And there already are plenty of
organizations to deal with the legal ramifications of discrimination.

The purpose of IAVIT is to address the very accessibility issues you
mention. New technologies are often inaccessible. Even when dealing with
established technologies, it is difficult for a blind technologist to be as
efficient as his sighted counterparts. If you go to the IAVIT web site,
you'll see our mission statement. It is to help blind and visually impaired
technologists do their jobs as effectively as their sighted counterparts.

We are taking 4 approaches to accomplish our mission:
1. Work with technology providers to make their products accessible
2. Provide information to blind technologists on adaptive techniques to help
them deal with inaccessible technologies
3. Provide a community where blind technologists can share adaptive
techniques
4. Help to enhance the understanding of employers about the capabilities of
blind technologists.

I guess the 4th thing is kind of like fighting discrimination but really
it's about dispelling myths or misconceptions regarding what blind people
can do with computers.  We also hope one day to offer scholarship programs
and possibly even supply adaptive equipment to visually impaired
technologists.