[nfb-talk] National Federation of the Blind Files Complaint with United States Department of Education

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Oct 28 05:00:02 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Files Complaint with
United States Department of Education

Inaccessible Web Site U.S.A. Learns Discriminates Against the Blind

Baltimore, Maryland (October 27, 2009): The National Federation of
the Blind (NFB), the nation's oldest and largest organization of
blind people and the leading advocate for equal access by the blind
to information technology, and Carlos Mora, a blind resident of
Baltimore, Maryland, filed an administrative complaint today with the
United States Department of Education.  The complaint asserts that
one of the United States Department of Education's Web sites, U.S.A
Learns, violates Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act because it is
inaccessible to blind people who use text-to-speech screen access
technology or Braille displays to access information on the
Internet.  Because of the inaccessibility of the U.S.A Learns Web
site, blind people cannot access or navigate through the content of
the English vocabulary, spelling, and pronunciation lessons that are
offered through the site.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "In an age where the Internet is a part of everyday life, blind
people must have equal access to the information and resources
provided on the World Wide Web.  In particular, the United States
government has a legal and moral obligation to ensure that the
information it provides on the Internet is equally accessible to all
in America, including the blind.  It is especially ironic that the
Department of Education, which is commissioned to provide educational
opportunities for all, would deny blind people access to a Web site
that provides instructive tools for those who speak English as a
second language.  This is unacceptable and we demand equal access for
all blind people."

Carlos Mora, a blind individual from Baltimore, Maryland, said: "I
work full time and have been accepted to a master's degree program at
Johns Hopkins University, and English is my second language.  I
attempted to use the U.S.A. Learns Web site to prepare for my
everyday life and my future studies by practicing English vocabulary,
spelling, and pronunciation, but the Web site was not accessible to
me.  It is frustrating to be denied access to any Web site, but it is
especially so when I am being denied access to a Web site with
educational tools that would help me to become a more active and
productive member of American society."

This is the third complaint filed by the National Federation of the
Blind on behalf of blind people in America regarding the
inaccessibility of a federal government Web site.  The NFB plans to
file complaints about other inaccessible federal government Web sites
as the organization continues to receive multiple reports from blind
people of barriers they have faced while trying to access government
information, programs, and services on the Internet.

Complainants are represented by attorneys Daniel F. Goldstein and
Allison L. Harper of Brown, Goldstein & Levy, LLP, 120 E. Baltimore
Street, Suite 1700, Baltimore, Maryland  21202, (410) 962-1030, fax:
(410) 385-0869, <mailto:dfg at browngold.com>dfg at browngold.com,
<mailto:ah at browngold.com>ah at browngold.com,
<http://www.browngold.com/>www.browngold.com.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading
force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's
blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in
the United States for the blind led by the blind.