[nfb-talk] [Bulk] Re: Traffic Signals

John Heim john at johnheim.net
Fri Dec 10 14:11:16 UTC 2010

Well, actually, we've been talking about audible walk signals when we really
should be talking about accessible pedestrian signals, or APSs. An APS
vibrates so a berson with both sight and hearing disabilities can tell when
the light changes.  They have those around campus here at the University of
Wisconsin and they are really nice.

I don't think you will actually find the term "audible walk signal" anywhere
on the Access Board web site. Their recommendation was for accessible
pedestrian signals, which, I would assume would include accomodations for
people in wheelchairs who can't walk. Of course, I know a few people who are
visually impaired, hearing impaired, and in wheelchairs. I understand there
are some syndromes that cause all three problems. But I don't know if these
people get around campus by themselves.