[nfb-talk] National Federation of the Blind Commends House for Passage of Safety Legislation

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Fri Dec 17 04:28:43 UTC 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Commends
  House for Passage of Safety Legislation

Washington, D.C. (December 16, 2010): The National Federation of the
Blind today commended the United States House of Representatives for
passing the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act (S. 841), which will
protect the blind and other pedestrians from injury as a result of
silent vehicle technology.

Because blind pedestrians cannot locate and evaluate traffic using
their vision, they must listen to traffic to discern its speed,
direction, and other attributes in order to travel safely and
independently.  Other people, including pedestrians who are not
blind, bicyclists, runners, and small children, also benefit from
hearing the sound of vehicle engines.  New vehicles that employ
hybrid or electric engine technology can be silent, rendering them
extremely dangerous in situations where vehicles and pedestrians come
into proximity with each other.

"The National Federation of the Blind commends the United States
House of Representatives for the wise and decisive action taken today
to preserve the right to safe and independent travel for the blind,"
said Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the
Blind.  "The blind, like all pedestrians, must be able to travel to
work, to school, to church, and to other places in our communities,
and we must be able to hear vehicles in order to do so.  This bill,
which is the result of collaboration among blind Americans,
automobile manufacturers, and legislators, will benefit all
pedestrians for generations to come as new vehicle technologies
become more prevalent.  We hope that President Obama will sign this
legislation into law before the close of the year."

"The trend toward putting more environmentally friendly, quiet
vehicles on the road has unintentionally jeopardized the safety and
independence of the blind and other pedestrians," said Representative
Edolphus Towns, the sponsor of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act,
who spent many years teaching travel with a white cane to the blind.
"This bill will prevent many injuries while still allowing more clean
vehicles on our nation's roads."

"I understand the safety concerns of blind pedestrians with these
quiet automobiles; I have heard the same concerns from senior
citizens in my district, and I appreciate the threat to children,
bicyclists, and runners," said Representative Cliff Stearns, the
original Republican co-sponsor of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement
Act.  "I deeply appreciate the support of all parties in working for
the passage of this important safety legislation."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind
is the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />United States.  The
NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field
today and the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB
opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the
first research and training center in the United States for the blind
led by the blind.  Please visit our Web site: <http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org.