[nfb-talk] National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Blind Driver ChallengeT VIPs

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Dec 22 10:48:10 UTC 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Congratulates
Blind Driver Challenge™ VIPs

Baltimore, Maryland (December 21, 2010): The
National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the
oldest and largest nationwide organization of
blind people in the United States, today
congratulated the ten Blind Driver Challenge™
VIPs who have been awarded trips to the public
debut of a vehicle equipped with a nonvisual
interface allowing a blind person to drive it
independently.  The vehicle, a Ford Escape
equipped with nonvisual interface technology,
will be driven by a blind individual  who will
navigate part of the famed Daytona International
Speedway course on January 29, 2011, as part of
the pre-race activities at the 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “We greatly
appreciate the hard work of our VIPs, as well as
our other Imagination Fund contributors.  With
their help, we are able to create innovative
research, training, education, and technology
programs that improve the lives of the blind and
move us closer to our ultimate goal of full
integration into society on a basis of
equality.  The Blind Driver Challenge™ is the
perfect example of the type of innovative program
we are able to bring about with the help of the
Imagination Fund.  Our VIPs will truly be
witnessing an historic event as we
demonstr<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
/>ate the fruits of our efforts before the
automobile enthusiasts and racing fans at the
Rolex 24 At Daytona.  This demonstration will
break down the wall of stereotypes and
misconceptions that prevent our full integration
into society by showing the public that the blind
have the same capacities as everyone else.  Our
only challenge is access to the information we need.”

Parnell Diggs, chairman of the Imagination Fund,
said: “We congratulate our Blind Driver
Challenge™ VIPs, and thank them for a job well
done.  It is vital that we raise the funds we
need to operate the programs of the National
Federation of the Blind.  Those who registered to
be Imaginators and raised at least $250 by
December 15 have our gratitude.  Because of their
efforts, we are off to a good start in the current campaign."

The ten VIPs won the honor of attending the Rolex
24 At Daytona by raising at least $250 for the
National Federation of the Blind Imagination
Fund, which supports the education, technology,
and research projects of the NFB Jernigan
Institute, as well as programs conducted by the
fifty-two affiliates and over seven-hundred local
chapters of the Federation.  Four of the VIPs
were chosen at the 2010 NFB National Convention
in Dallas, and the other six were chosen last week.

The VIPs will receive roundtrip airfare,
accommodations at the Plaza Ocean Club, food
allowance, and a $119 pass to the Daytona
International Speedway for January 29 to watch
the debut of a vehicle equipped with a nonvisual
interface allowing a blind person to drive for the first time independently.

The Blind Driver Challenge™ VIPs are listed below:

1.      Dana Ard

2.      Andrew Braun

3.      Patti Chang

4.      Mark Colasurdo

5.      William O. Jacobs

6.      Patricia Maurer

7.      John Paré

8.      Dwight Sayer

9.      Sue Sebranek

10. Kevan Worley

For more information about the Blind Driver
Challenge™ and the Rolex 24 At Daytona, please
visit <http://www.blinddriverchallenge.org/>www.blinddriverchallenge.org.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National
Federation of the Blind is the largest and most
influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves
blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging
independence and self-confidence.  It is the
leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004
the NFB opened the National Federation of the
Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the
blind led by the blind.  Please visit our Web
site: <http://www.nfb.org/>www.nfb.org.