[nfb-talk] New THOUGHT PROVOKER #154- White Canes and Windmills

Mike Bullis mabullis at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 16 00:59:22 UTC 2010

I began in the seventies spreading the idea that we needed to see our canes
as something more than utilitarian travel items.  Most of us began our
blindness challenge by hating the cane and although we do come to embrace
it's freedoms we still don't really, really, like the darn thing.
I have felt that we will know that we are changing what it means to be blind
when we appropriate the cane as not just a tool but a dress item.  Elegant
canes?  Canes with textured leather handles? I myself can't imagine all the
cool things we could do with our canes but I think it's telling that we
haven't.  We haven't because, at a pretty fundamental level, we still don't
embrace them.
Some of this is historical.  When we began to use canes, they were primarily
seen by the public as a gentleman's dress item.  We wanted to change that
image and so avoided any ornateness.  Now, we need to move back toward a
nice dressitem with a utilitarian function.
Mike Bullis
Baltimore Maryland