[nfb-talk] New THOUGHT PROVOKER #153 My Sister's Keeper

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 01:35:28 UTC 2010

Well, my thought is that everyone, sighted or blind, could use a friendly
"keeper" every now and then.  One thing not pointed out is that JC was able
to legally identify the perpetrator.  Have you ever listened to a blind
person who has been a victim or close witness of a violent crime, try and
get the authorities to listen to them, only to be told that sight is
required to identify someone as hearing is unreliable? I had a blind friend
who had this happen -- a family member brutalized, and she the only witness
as the family member had alzheimers and couldn't testify.  She was told
"Sorry, there is nothing we can do," and that because she was blind.
As for JC's overprotectiveness of her sister, I think this is normal, and if
Rhoda feels smothered by it she should just join the nfb and assert herself
more.  There is not always a prankster in the vicinity.  In the situation in
the story, JC I think was doing the right thing -- she wasn't there to help
the poor blind kids find their way to classes, she was there because of a
known troublemaker that posed a threat.
I'm sorry if I'm wimping out of fighting the bully on this one, but as I
said, everyone could use a friend now and then.
Happy trekking.
--le