[nfb-talk] Asking for prayers

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 04:29:44 UTC 2010

Dar,

This cancer's not caused by the sun, though I suppose it would make
sense for an albino to get cancer that way.  This one's a soft tissue
sarcoma, and it's apparently just a strange thing were some cells
have gotten their microscopic chemical wires crossed, and started
growing out of control.

Thus far, we've decided that the best treatment in my case begins
with surgery.  Chemo has a lot of side-effects, one of which is a
compromised immune system.  Compromising my immune system isn't a
good idea right now, given the early treatment of my tumor (before
anyone figured out it was a tumor, it was thought to be a cyst, so
there's an open wound at the location that could become infected.)

In fact, unless we have other indications, chemo seems to not be the
right solution.  It could maybe increase my chances of survival by
maybe 10%, but they're already pretty high.  Not only that, but the
side effects of chemotherapy kind of outweigh the potential benefit
at this time unless it has spread.  I'll trust in God that it hasn't.

I'll be scheduling things related to surgery tomorrow.

Joseph