[nfb-talk] Bard

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 15 13:34:12 UTC 2010

Yeah, I know the format is daisy. I tried to open a bard book with FS Reader
on my Pac Mate but it said it was unauthorized. I didn't actually think that
would work anyway because the Pac Mate doesn't even have enough RAM to open
many of the books from bookshare.

I looked into writing a daisy player for linux but I didn't get any farther
than googling for open source libraries for the daisy format. That would
actually be the first step -- writing an open source library for daisy. I
should probably get started on that. It would coincide nicely with my work
on starting the International Association of Visually Impaired
Technologists.

I don't know if you heard about this but the World Intellectual Property
Organization (WIPO) is working on a treaty that would essentially allow
bookshare to go international. Right now, you have to be a US citizen to
sign up with bookshare.