[nfb-talk] Coverage of CNN interview on blind driving

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 21 14:10:39 UTC 2010

Well, I guess it would depend on how much the NFB spent on this. Based on
what I see on nfb.org, it looks like its mostly just a press release. I'm
guessing that the PR angle has something to do with this. You're not going
to get on CNN with a "braille display challenge", for example.  And lets not
minimize the value of publicity either.  It wouldn't be too hard for the NFB
to come out ahead on the BDC. They may have generated more on donations than
they spent on publicity.

Admittedly, I would much rather have seen a "Affordable and Accessible GBS
Challenge".  Picture Virginia Tech students walking around with eye shades
listening to their GPS systems. The challenge is that the students have to
navigate a course blindfolded using only their GPS system and a sighted
guide (to keep them from getting killed).

Or how about an accessible money challenge? Design a feature into bills so
that they can be identified without an instrament or with an instrament that
costs under $50 and never has to be upgraded. Current bill identifiers all
use the print on bills to identify them. Design something else into the bill
that would stay the same when the print changes.

Or how about a walk signal identifier challenge? Design some way for a blind
person to tell when they have a walk signal that does not depend on traffic
engineers installing a $40K APS.

Of course, the last 2 things have the disadvantage of having little to no PR
value. Poking around the Jernigan Institute web site, I don't see anything
about them dealing with every day issues faced by blind people. It seems a
little slanted toward very high end stuff to me. On the other hand, it might
just be that stuff like helping some company with an accessible GPS app for
the IPhone  isn't worth writing a press realease about. They may be doing
stuff like that on a daily basis and it just doesn't make the news.