[nfb-talk] Explanation of traffic lights and pedestrian signals

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed May 26 00:52:59 UTC 2010

With respect, we DID look at them in that light.  And we found that
the signals in use at the time drowned out the sounds of the traffic
that would tell us when it was safe to cross the street.  As such, we
opposed them.

It is worth noting that the NFB had a hand in the design of the first
audible signals that dynamically adapted to ambient noise conditions
and included tactile feedback by holding the button for an extended
period.

At the time, the ACB president argued with me vehemently that such
signals were woefully unsuited to use by some, and shouting that this
was yet another example of the NFB trying to dictate what a blind
person should need, and rejecting anything that did not meet our
standards of a model blind person.

Incidentally, the last major organized protest against the things was
just before the new signals began to be adopted.

Joseph