[nfb-talk] Fw: Implanted chip 'allows blind people to detect objects'

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Nov 6 23:23:57 UTC 2010

Ray:

I think I understand what you are saying, and in some instances you
might be right, but I disagree with you.  I think I am as well
adjusted as anyone -- I have a good job, two great kids, contribute
to the NFB and my community in meaningful ways etc.  Would I see if I
could -- absolutely!  And I don't think that means I am not well
adjusted, haven't accepted my blindness etc.

In fact, since you are so "honest" I will tell you that I think your
attitude is your way of propping up yourself and hiding feelings of
insecurity or inferiority over your blindness.

It isn't necessary to repudiate vision to bolster yourself as a blind person.

For what it's worth, in a conversation with Dr. Jernigan I once had,
as I recall he said he felt that any blind person who says he/she
wouldn't want to see again wasn't being honest with herself.  That
doesn't mean we aren't well adjusted, but seeing is the norm, the
world is set up for them, why wouldn't we want the convenience of
partaking.  That doesn't mean we aren't well-adjusted in what we have
now necessarily.

Dave

                         David Andrews:  dandrews at visi.com
Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920