[nfb-talk] Fwd: [Blindtlk] NBP's new website now live!

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 00:59:44 UTC 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tony Grima <agrima at nbp.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 14:50:14 -0500
Subject: [Blindtlk] NBP's new website now live!
To: blindtlk at nfbnet.org

Hello - last week we mentioned that National Braille Press would be
launching a newly designed website this week - and it is now up and
running! Below are some helpful navigational tips written by a screen
reader user. Start by visiting the site at:
http://www.nbp.org

Welcome to NBP's newly re-designed website. We know you will want to
find some of the new features and navigational enhancements yourself,
but here are a few tips to get you started.
Many of the options with which you are already familiar are the same,
including the search box for finding books, the option to customize the
site by color preference, and the site map.

We have added heading navigation to make it easier to find the sections
of the website you want to browse. With most screen readers, you can
press "h" on any page of our site and reach one of the primary
categories on the page, and, if your screen reader supports it, you can
even browse by heading level. You can also now bring up a list of
headings by pressing "JAWS key plus 6), if using JAWS or insert key plus
tab, if using Window-eyes, and selecting headings from the resulting
list.

In addition to finding the website content you want by using your screen
reader's find command, perusing the list of links, or reading the whole
page with the say-all command, you can easily reach the "Braille
bookstore", "Programs" page, "Custom Education Services", "Accessible
Business Services", and the "Get Involved " sections of the website by
browsing by headings. From the home page, the bookstore is the first
heading you will fine from the top of the page. If you press the enter
key on that link and then go to the  "braille bookstore" heading on the
category, browse all books, or contact our customer service department.

Below the links for those categories, you can read about the Children's
Braille Book Club, check to see what is "Hot Off the Press",  or learn
about E-braille format, among other choices.
Similarly, if you press the enter key on the "Programs" heading, and
then locate the "programs" heading toward the top of the page that
loads, you will be able to locate information about our ReadBooks!
program, the Braille Center for Innovation, our Touch of Genius Prize,
and our Lifelong Literacy section.

You can keep up with events at National Braille Press or check out the
latest stories about NBP by choosing the "events" or "news media" links.
You can also view some of the videos on the site by entering on the
"videos" link.

Some of the sections of the website have new names. The Textbooks and
Tests section has now been re-named and is found in our "custom
Education Services" section. Braille Production Services has now become
"Accessible Business Services", Ways to Give is now "Get involved",  and
"About us" has replaced "Who We Are."

We hope you will enjoy our newly expanded website and hope that it will
help you to keep current with all of the happenings at National Braille
Press.

PLEASE DO NOT respond to this message! It is an automated message and
your query will not reach us. Send questions to orders at nbp.org .

Visit us at http://www.nbp.org