[nfb-talk] Blind academics and Thomson Reuters

Chwalow, Judith JChwalow at nfb.org
Mon Oct 25 16:31:34 UTC 2010

From: William Page [mailto:page at scipol.co.uk]
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 7:19 AM
To: Maurer, Patricia
Subject: Blind academics and Thomson Reuters

As always, academics need to be published in academic journals.
Increasingly, journals are insisting articles are submitted online.
The market leader is ScholarOne Manuscript, a division of Thomson
Reuters and based in the US. Its websites have many buttons which are
graphics with no hidden text beneath them; I believe no screen reader
can read them. This limits the ability of blind academics to submit
articles to at least this major player. This is unhelpful to their
career development!

I know this because I am a blind publisher who signed up to use their
service for our journals - and I cannot use it!

Thomson Reuters agree they should be doing something about this, but
cannot see it being done for some time. Is there an association of
blind academics who might add pressure to get this changed sooner
rather than later? Below are my emails to Thomson Reuters about this;
they are clearly not trying to be difficult, but say this would be an
immense job for technical reasons.

You are welcome to forward this email to anyone you think appropriate.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Bill Page

William Page
Beech Tree Publishing
- Science and Public Policy
- Research Evaluation
- Impact Assessment and Project Appraisal 10 Watford Close,
Guildford, Surrey GU1 2EP, UK Telephone +44 1483 824871  Fax +44 1483
567497 Email page at scipol.co.uk Website www.scipol.co.uk (including
links to journal abstracts and full texts on the Ingenta Connect site)