[nfb-talk] (no subject)

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Apr 24 17:46:00 UTC 2011

Agreed.  The problem arises in that much of this research is sold on the
basis that it will restore sight which, of course, it will not, at least if
by sight, one means 20/20 vision.  And of course, the research also tends to
emphasize the "ain't it awful" reaction to blindness -- one garners more
research money that way.  So research isn't in and of itself harmful; in
fact, it's fascinating.  And I think it's absolutely daft to oppose it as
some deaf persons oppose cochlear implants because it "kills culture".
Where I get off the boat is in the way most of such research is marketed and
the fact that, as Steve Jacobson has put it, the whole story isn't told.

Mike