[nfb-talk] freedom of speech

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 01:34:55 UTC 2011

John,
You act as though you are doing us all a favour by posting your ideas
and debating with us. While there are always people who aren't much into
trading in the market place of ideas, most of us who are subscribed to
these lists are here because we value the passtime. However, we don't
sign up to an NFB list to sit around and argue ad nausium with someone
who clearly disagrees with our positions. Quite frankly John, I'm not
interested in you exercising your perceived right of freedom of speech
on an NFB list. Surely you are aware that your ideas are neither
original nor new. And, indeed, even if they had been, they have been
stated and restated so often for so long that they're old hat by now.
Really. Please John. Your not saying anything that we haven't heard
before. Why is it so difficult for you to cept that we disagree. At some
point in time surely you can accept that we aren't going to change our
minds and, furthermore, that we aren't interested in you trying to help
us assess whether our ideas, opinions and views are fair and rational.
It doesn't matter to us that you believe you must defend the rest of the
blind against our views or the organization's application of our
philosophy. And as to the suggested benefits that your constant
disagreeing will bring us? Discomfort? Please John, your thoughts are
just plain not that original or startling. You don't think anybody has
brought up those same points in our own chapters or over lunch with one
another? If you believe that we are wrong then please, by all means,
believe it to your heart's content. but when will you accept our equally
valid right to be wrong if we choose. Most of us on this list simply
don't care if you think we're wrong or that the NFB positions are wrong
John. We truly don't care! Sure, you have a right to say so and I don't
at all begrudge you the opportunity to express your opinions and beliefs
on the NFB list. But why will you not accept that there comes a time
when it is reasonable for you to stop. People have not only told you
that they disagree they've also told you that they don't intend to
change their minds. While you may have a right to free speech, which you
do only within reason on a list such as this, when does your exercising
of this right cross the line and impinge on my right to be subscribed to
a list where we happily share the same views in peace? Basically John,
it's boring and annoying. It's not upsetting. It doesn't challenge my
views. It doesn't make me question my opinions and it doesn't make me
decide that the NFB was wrong on the positions and the strategies it
took and continues to take. It's just tiresome. Annoying. Pointless.
Silly. Surely if you truly want to change minds, and not just argue,
surely If you really do want to change minds you have chosen the very
worst venue for that outcome. Only extremely committed people take the
time to post, read and respond on lists like this. No wonder people are
suspicious of your motives. How can such an obviously intelligent person
continue on such a pointless mission with such disregard for the facts?
In a nutshell John, we aren't convinced and nothing you've said has
convinced us. As you're not saying anything new, why continue, we're
obviously not going to be convinced.

John, I don't like you or dislike you, I don't know you well enough to
do either. I don't care if you consider yourself to believe in the
philosophy of the NFB. It doesn't really make any difference what you
think about NFB policy, conduct or member behaviour. None of it is going
to be effected by your posts on an e-mail list. However, I do object to
you thinking that an NFB list is the perfect place for you to try and
conduct a one-man battle to convert list members away from their chosen
views. I'm pleased that Dave hasn't banned you but I believe that you
are badly mistaken if you think that you have a right to debate the same
topics over and over for years with people who don't want to hear what
you have to say more than a few times. You're really going overboard if
you think that people saying they don't want to hear more of the same
thing over and over again is denial of your rights to free speech. It
must be hard for you to accept John because you have an intellect and
are competent at expressing your beliefs and opinions and you appear to
want to do so in public. but John, we just don't care what you have to
say on the same old topics again and again. There's nothing new to be
said. and we disagree with you and don't want to change out minds. When
does our right not to have our time wasted get acknowledged? And don't
give me the glib nonsense about the delete key. I read your posts John.
I respect that you have ideas and I like reading your take on various
things that come up from time to time. However, there comes a time when
enough is enough. John. It's boring to us. It's not challenging, or
clarifying or confronting or discomforting. It's not new John so how
could it be any of those things. It's just boring. as for change coming
about, nobody wants the change to come about except you. You appear to
have chosen the wrong venue. Please consider our rights as well. Can you
not accept that we just don't want to hear it, no matter how well you
articulate the arguments? John, we're not listening any more. I hope
I've said the same thing in enough different ways for you to apprehend
what I'm saying on all the levels on which I'm saying it.

Regards,

Heather Field