[nfb-talk] Braille Monitor

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 13:49:15 UTC 2011

I am told that they are not united in doing so (which is fairly
typical I suppose.)  Those who do support it are doing so at the
behest of agencies, saying that this legislation is needed to help
create jobs for the disabled and that it doesn’t really change the
status quo any.

The Oregon Commission for the Blind at least was very careful to
avoid saying they support it, but they misrepresented the problem and
the opposition to it, making it clear that they are supporting this
thing.  They DO place people into sub-minimum wage sheltered
workshops, that much I can confirm.

The ACB of Oregon has at least joined the NFB in principle opposing
it, but their reaction is at best lethargic to my estimation.  They
certainly aren’t mobilizing people to call, rally, or protest.

Joseph - kf7qzc