[nfb-talk] new NFB canes

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 19 14:04:48 UTC 2011

Dear All,

A crook on the end of the cane was to provide a better grip for support
purposes in supporting ones self in balance and walking.  The crook being on
the end of the cane has nothing to do with a person being Blind and does
add, slightly to the weight of the cane.
Originally, the crook handled canes were made by the same people who make
support canes for those people who have difficulty with balance and walking.
As the canes were improved over the years, the crook, on canes met for the
Blind, went away because they were not really needed by those who are just
Blind.
Now there are still canes made for those who are blind and need help for
support and balance, but most have a 90 degree handle on them, but are
painted white and may even have a red tip.
The red tip is actually  there to denote that the person is Deaf as well as
Blind and is supposed to denote danger.
This goes back to the American introduction of the White Cane into use by
the Lion's Clubs in the 1920's after Helen Keller asked them to be the
"knights of the Blind."
This red tip thing has gotten itself established in the wording of the Law
so that in some states, the Red tipped canes carried by the Blind are
identified as the cane of use by the Blind.  The Red tip was to warn other
people to be careful in approaching anyone bearing a white cane with a Red
tip because they were Blind and might be deaf as well.
Anyway, the crooks are gone and the technology has moved on.

I, myself, have used the folding canes, but have switched to the telescoping
cane some time ago.
After I learned a few things about the telescoping canes and how best to
handle them.   They work fine for me and even though I use a guide dog now,
I still carry my telescoping cane, with a "D" ring on the handle, everywhere
I go.  It just hangs at my side, ready for use when I need it.
I do not take my guide Dog Jack everywhere I go, such as the restroom at
work.
I just do not want him laying on the dirty nasty floor.
The telescoping canes work very well as long as you learn to give them a
good tug when extending them.
I also cup my hand over the end cap, when hammering them down to collapse
them.
I like them as I can open them, with  a flick of the wrist and even close
them using only one hand, which is great when I am carrying something in the
other hand.
The addition of the "D" ring, tied up close to the handle, lets me quickly
and with one hand, hang my cane on a belt loop and free up my hands.
It also helps to prevent me from walking off without my cane as where my
belt loops go, so does my cane.
For the ladies, it can also be clipped around a purse strap and therefore,
not forgotten as no lady goes anywhere without her purse.
I have never lost a cane and always have one with in my reach.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.