[nfb-talk] Making Our Homes Comfortable and AccessibletoBlind Folks

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sat Dec 17 23:17:17 UTC 2011

Hey Ryan,

Wow, that was kinda my reaction, though, I must say, not nearly so eloquent. My home, my comfort, if I can do something to keep my home comfortable for me yet still make it accessible for you, great. I mean, it's not like the rest of the world exactly bends over backwards to make *us* comfortable. But we have to, are expected to, in the name of "looking normal" or "knowing what's expected"? In *my* home? Even in *my* *home* I'm expected to conform to the sighted "norm"? See, the operative word here is "my". Let's turn that analogy around. Do sighted people have to make their homes accessible to us, or comfortable for us? Of course they don't. When we come to visit, we're expected, as we should be, to be careful of breakables, and we don't demand that things be made pleasant for us, or more accessible, or to have braille put on someone else's microwave, while we visit. If people choose to, or are able to, make their homes more comfortable or accessible to us for our visits, all the better, and thank them for it. But why do we think that this double standard is OK? Why do we have to even work twice as hard to "make the right impression", ***even in our own homes***? Will I go out of my way to make my guests uncomfortable, just because I might like something better? Of course not. But neither should I be expected to sacrifice my own tastes and my own comfort in the place where I go to relax just to make people feel as though I "know what's expected". Sure, I'll do what I can to accommodate visitors, where such accommodations don't impact my own ease or comfort in my home, but I think that we should at least have *one* place where we can go and not have to worry about conforming for goodness sake. It's one thing I just don't understand, why it is that we have this double standard. Ah well. Count me among the grumpy.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY