[nfb-talk] walkers?

Powers, Terry (NIH/OD/DEAS) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Tue Dec 27 13:46:10 UTC 2011

I have used a wheel chair long ago and now I use a walker at national convention.  I have some sight and cane get around as if I were on roler scates.  My friends even have trouble keeping up with me.  The walker, some how, releaves the pressure off your back.  I have 2 slipped disks and nerve problems and find it very helpful.  Make sure you get one that folds, has a seat and also has breaks.  I got mine from Roberts, here in Maryland.  Since a walker is rather low, see if they have an arm rest that attatches to the side of the walker.  This would raise your working arm, so you can extend and use your cane to a better ability.
You should be able to use sighted guide.  They could hold on to the walker or even hold on to your arm. They just need to walk at the same pace as you are going, with the walker.  I may have to use the walker, more in the future, so let us know how it works with the cane
Good luck and keep up your comfidence.  If I had not gotten my walker, I would not be independent and maybe not be able to go to national convention.  It was a step I took myself.

Terry Powers