[nfb-talk] FW: new IGF research

S Baker srbaker12 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 18:12:51 UTC 2011

SRBaker

From: srbaker12 at hotmail.com
To: missouri-l at moblind.org
Subject: new IGF research
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:10:40 +0000

Below is a link to new research at the Univ of Michigan. It seemed to me that this knowledge could be applied to non-genetic blindness ie oxygen deprevation during disease or heart surgery. In the cases of nongenetic blindness no DNA mutations would ever show up. Hence nothing to correct  from information obtained by DNA sequencing. However, something on a local level might be corrected by knowing these retinal molecular pathways.
I contacted the NEI and their response was my premise sounded reasonable and they will check on any research currently planned or in clinical trials. If not they would present the question to their research group for further consideration.
This inquiry may not go anywhere but lets keep trying!
Steve
http://ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=8229

SRBaker