[nfb-talk] Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 21:24:29 UTC 2011

Lets not forget that the mindset discussed in the article is the same one
that finds people with disabilities worthless, shameful and unlucky. What is
very likely is a child born blind would be abandoned to an orphanage.  If
you think the education and unemployment opportunities for the blind are
lacking in the US, it's next to nonexistent in China even if raised by a
family.  Add the shame of being an orphan and most likely your only option
for income would be begging on the streets.

As the mother of a blind child adopted from China, I've seen it first hand
both with my son and the children my friends have adopted.  I have come to
accept that things are just different in other cultures.  There is a lot of
wonderful things about China but attitudes towards less than perfection is
one of the less wonderful aspects.

 Holly