[nfb-talk] TSA discrimination in Orlando

Brian Miller brian-r-miller at uiowa.edu
Mon Jul 11 11:23:08 UTC 2011

It does sound like Joe was treated rather rudely by the TSA guys, and they
do seem to have acted in a retalitory way when Joe was trying to do what he
felt was right.

I do agree with many others, though, that the issue of walking through the
metal detector without my cane really isn't an issue at all.  I put my long
white cane on the belt to travel through the machine, step a few paces away
and a TSA agent essentially pulls me through the machine.  It's a matter of
taking a few steps and it really doesn't inconvenience me that much.  A few
times my cane got stuck in the machine, or took a long time to come through
and meet me on the other side, but in 100% of the time I've always gotten it
back and was on my way.  I'm totally blind, and doing this doesn't over-tax
me -- do I like?  Not much, but it's the least of my worries when traveling.

Taking off my shoes, belt, watch, sweater, pants, tie, shirt, whatever, and
not being able to bring any liquids (above 3 ounces) -- now that's an issue.
And the mega-grope -- that's an issue.  My wife has metal in her leg from an
injury, so unless they have the new super-invasive X-ray machines, she has
to get the pat down every time, and pat down is putting it lightly.  All of
this, however, is not unique to blindness, but all of us -- sighted, blind,
or otherwise.

Brian M