[nfb-talk] TSA discrimination in Orlando

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Jul 11 16:13:06 UTC 2011

In my mind, we need to be careful how we look at this.  I agree completely with Mike's position that we are not going to win any court battles at this point
over invasion of personal space and such.  However, if the regulations permit us to keep our canes, particularly if there is a reasonable chance they won't
set off a metal detector, I don't see why it hurts to report a violation of the regulations to persons within the department.  I think we have a right to expect
consistent treatment.  If Joe passed through the metal detector and did not set it off but was patted down simply because someone was trying to teach him
a lesson, this is wrong in my opinion and needs to be challenged at least within the department or perhaps brought to the attention of the person who spoke
to NAGDU last week.  I don't know to what degree pat downs are supposed to be done in private, so I'm not so clear if there is an issue there.  What is an
issue is why the pat down if the detector didn't go off.  Of course, it is now Joe's word against theirs that it didn't go off.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson