[nfb-talk] Portland NET (CERT) training: Getting there

Gloria Whipple ladygloria at webband.com
Thu Jul 28 15:40:40 UTC 2011

Joseph,

Good luck and prayers to you!

Gloria Whipple
Corresponding Secretary
Inland Empire chapter
nfb of WA

Cell: 509-475-4993

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of T. Joseph Carter
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 08:15
To: NFB Talk Mailing List
Subject: [nfb-talk] Portland NET (CERT) training: Getting there

So it turns out that I have another event that meets at the same
building that hosts Portland’s NET training I’ll be taking this fall.
The information when I signed up was that there wasn’t an immediate
bus stop in front of the place.  No worries, a few blocks of walking
are no big deal to me, right?

Turns out that the nearest intersecting streets for the place are
very heavily trafficked.  So much in fact that there’s an overpass
from one to the other.  The streets move at a high speed, and there
is no sidewalk, particularly at the circular connection ramps.

I’ve been told that it’s "not safe for a blind person on foot", and,
"it’d be difficult even for a sighted person."

You all know me well enough to know my reaction to that.  I have done
a little recon using Google Street View (which is cheating I know),
but I see how it can be done.  Not easily, but done.  Of course,
it’ll be mid afternoon, with the sun right in my face.  I might as
well be wearing a sleepshade for all the good my eyes are gonna do me
out there!  In fact I might, it’ll be less uncomfortable!  I still
have mine from the Colorado Center.  *grin*

If I don’t report back this evening, my plan failed catastrophically
and there’s no need to worry about how I’m going to do it on
Saturdays for NET training anymore.  So I’ll ask that you wish me
success and plenty of divine grace, because I might need it!

Joseph - KF7QZC