[nfb-talk] sonar for blind

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:19:55 UTC 2011

Yes, I use sound echoes as well.  And when I need one and haven’t got
it, I make my own sounds.  Most blind people do.  Where I get to
disparaging is when it starts to become an alternative to other
skills.

I’m VERY GOOD at the echolocation thing—good enough that at the
Colorado Center I got my sleepshade checked more than once because of
what I heard that my instructors didn’t.  But you wouldn’t catch me
claiming it was an alternative to using a cane because it’s not.

Sighted people love the idea of echolocation because it gets rid of
the cane, the thing that makes you "look" blind.  Better I think to
look blind than to look stupid.

Joseph