[nfb-talk] Time of Day Services:

Jim jp100 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 26 05:36:48 UTC 2011

Hi there,

This subject about time and weather apps and whether or not the blind need
them brought something else to mind.  I hope I'm not out of line.

I sometimes wonder if we the blind, especially the newer generations, are
sometimes relying too much on the technology and forgetting some of the
primary and essential skills we need to function in every day society.  One
might ask how I could say that since I work with computers.  But, I see far
too many people now depending specifically on cell phones, talking time
devices, or their computers for things like the time.  What has happened to
something simple like the Braille watch or even a talking watch?
I hear folks say that they'll just listen to a book or that they're too lazy
to read.  What about getting a page of Braille and reading it?

I recently saw a young college kid, still adjusting to blindness, on the
phone, get a pen and write down information such as a telephone number and
other stuff.  This guy is totally blind and is learning the skills of
blindness.  It was none of my business, but because I knew that learning
skills was important to him, I gently challenged him.  I asked him how he
was going to read what he'd just written with a pen.  He said he would have
his girlfriend read it to him.  I then challenged him and asked where his
slate was.  He said he'd generally just have his laptop and write it down
because he still was slow on the slate and probably couldn't do it.
Where are the skills of blindness he's learning?  Why not implement them?

I hear folks say they'll just get a GPS.  Well, we still need to use our
canes and rely on our brains.  What if the GPS fails?

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for innovation and technology and I am
sometimes as lazy as they come and enjoy convenience.  However, I still find
it easier to simply use a tried and true skill of blindness at times.  If
I'm lying on the couch and want to know the time, I'm apt to be lazy and
simply look at my Braille watch instead of stretching my arm to the coffee
table and hit a key on my computer or on my IPhone.
Let's keep using the skills of blindness we keep talking about as a
foundation and incorporate these new things when necessary or important.

Jim