[nfb-talk] Emergency response training

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat May 14 19:57:02 UTC 2011

I have signed up to take Portland’s NET (Neighborhood Emergency Team)
training this fall.  It is Portland’s response to the national
county-based CERT program.

Courses are divided up into eight weeks of training, the last of
which is a 4 hour final exam.  I know that the final exam includes
putting out fires, literally.  NET training is free (as is CERT), but
about halfway through the program you have to supply your own
responder kit, which is generally going to run between $50 and $200,
unless you happen to have certain items already on hand.

Here’s an overview of the NET training:

Session 1: Disaster Awareness—Earthquakes and Other Disasters; Home,
Neighborhood and Workplace Preparedness

Session 2: Utility Control—Gas, Electric and Water; Fire
Extinguishers—Types and Uses; Hazardous Materials

Session 3: Disaster Medicine (I); Treating Life-Threatening Injuries;
Medical Triage

Session 4: Disaster Medicine (II); Treating Common Injuries; Setting
Up a Medical Treatment Area; Public Health Considerations

Session 5: Light Search & Rescue (I); Visual Assessment of Damaged
Buildings; Search Techniques

Session 6: Light Search & Rescue (II); Rescue Techniques; Patient
Transport

Session 7: Disaster Psychology and Trauma Intervention; NET Team
Management; NETs in Action—Tabletop Exercise

Session 8: NET Final Field Exercise (FFE), a four (4) hour hands-on
practical skill drill which could be morning or afternoon.

Has anyone here ever taken training like this?  Am I blazing trails
again?  Whether I am or not, I registered for this and the people who
are doing the training do not yet know that I am blind.  What sort of
objections am I likely to face, and how should I best address them?
I know I can learn to do whatever I need to do.  I cannot say that it
will be easy, but I am determined not to be the guy sitting around
waiting for someone to help me if something bad happens, if you know
what I mean.

Since the above class titles are not that descriptive in and of
themselves of exactly what kind of things I would be expected to
handle, I’ll describe a typical NET responder kit as being safety
equipment (a reflective vest and hard hat, work gloves with leather
palms, knee pads, safety googles, and a particle filter mask),
flashlight, signal whistle, water/gas wrench, pry bar, utility cord,
duct tape, and a first aid kit.  We’re expected to know how to use,
but not carry a fire extinguisher.

A "Deluxe" kit adds a Leatherman Kick multitool, ear plugs, a more
serious first aid kit, a roll of masking tape to go along with the
duct tape, several large plastic bags, a permanent marker, a lumber
crayon, water treatment tablets, glowsticks, rain poncho, solar
blanket, and 8 hour glowsticks.

Construction site safety gear and tools aside, those who know me
fairly well can tell you that I’ve got most of what’s left on my
person wherever I go.  Boy scout motto and all of that.  Pfft, like I
was ever a scout!  *grin*

Anyway, advice is welcome.  Comments about my tenuous grip on sanity
will be ignored as redundant information!

Joseph