[nfb-talk] {Disarmed} Federal law preempts blind flyers'claims over airport kiosks

Brian Miller brian-r-miller at uiowa.edu
Tue May 24 22:44:36 UTC 2011

Hi Steve,

Absolutely, and I totally understand why we chose to pursue this case in the
California court jurisdiction .  However, as you know well, the question is
when can you lean on state law and when does federal law take precedence.

It is true, however, that typically state laws that are stricter on
regulations are not a problem, it is when they are looser than federal laws
-- such as in the case of emissions standards, again, such as in California.

I would have to think it depends on the degree to which a federal law or
governing regulations are silent on certain matters, and allow for states to
interject their own preferences.  An example of this is in the case of the
Rehabilitation Act -- federal law trumps state laws in most instances with
the implementation of the VR programs, however, in the case of procurement,
state laws take precedence -- not on the nature of VR services, just how the
purchases are processed.

I guess the judge in this case read the Air Carrier Act as not allowing for
this degree of flexibility.

Thanks,
Brian M