[nfb-talk] Sight Experimentation At John Hospkins Hospital:

Kenneth Chrane kenneth.chrane at verizon.net
Wed Oct 5 10:03:12 UTC 2011

Recruitment for Vision Research Study:

PLoVR

Researchers in the Lions Vision Center,

part of the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins,

are looking for volunteers with almost no remaining vision

to help them design vision training activities.

If successful, these activities may help

nearly-blind individuals learn to see a little better.

In the future, blind patients with a retinal implant

may use these activities to re-learn to see.

That's why we're calling this program

Prosthetic Low Vision Rehabilitation, or PLoVR

(like the little bird at the top of this page),

and you can help make this possible.

If you are at least 10 years old and live within 2 hours from Johns Hopkins, we invite you to come participate in person, talk about how you use your vision, and help us design the activities.  There will be 3-5 one-hour sessions, and we may invite you to come for 20 or more practice sessions, spread out over several years, to try out new activities.

If you live farther away, you can participate by telephone.

There will be 3-5 sessions to talk about how you use your vision.

We will pay you $10 for each hour-long session.

To learn more about the study and to enroll, please call

Pamela Jeter at 410-502-6434,

or e-mail us at plovr at lions.med.jhu.edu

JHM-IRB protocol # NA_00043449 - Gislin Dagnelie, Ph.D. - Principal Investigator