[nfb-talk] Need Compitent Blind Traveler in Raleigh, N.C.

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 12 18:19:16 UTC 2012

Dear Karen,

You may need another senior , their age, to speak to them about the issue.
I have allot of seniors in my chapter and I speak to more all of the time.
It is hard for some seniors to accept change.  They take on the attitude
of,"you can not teach old dogs new tricks."  This is only true if the old
dog don't want to learn.
I try to show them by example and ask them to think about what will they do
if they don't learn some new tricks?
I try to show them how some new knowledge and skills can make a real
difference in their lives and how the new independence will benefit them.
Generally, most of them are afraid of looking foolish or dumb, but once they
start getting how the new skills and knowledge can help them, they love it.
I have a volunteer, that helps with independent living classes that is 101
years old and is a good example.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.