[nfb-talk] canes?

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sat Dec 1 12:48:22 UTC 2012

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, I don't think the Rainshine canes are available anymore, and they only got up to 64 inches anyhow. I have one, but not sure what I'll do about tips if I ever wear mine out, as I don't use it often. It's a very heavy cane, being solid fiberglass, so it definitely isn't one I'd want to use daily.

You might check with the iowa Department for the Blind's Aids And devices store. The Iowa can is very similar to the NFB cane, using the same tips, but I think it's just a little more durable using, perhaps, somewhat thicker walled fiberglass elements. It's slightly heavier, anyhow, but not by much. Reminds me of NFB canes of earlier decades. I think, however, they're only available to 64 inches, perhaps 66 inches. Worth checking out, at any rate.

Looking at the Independence Store catalog, I see that the NFB type 2 straight fiberglass canes come in lengths up to 69 inches. That should be enough for even the tallest peers I know. Maybe.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY