[nfb-talk] [Blindtlk] Refusal To Use A Cane

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 16 23:32:24 UTC 2012

Good afternoon Buddy and everyone,

    While we don't want to push folks away with "Strong-arm" tactics it has
also been said that the NFB is made up of individuals who know their limits
and base decisions on what they will tolerate in a particular environment or
situation on those limits. What may seem to be "Strong-arm" to one person
could very well be a"Protective mechanism" to some one else when dealing
with  specific matters involving others. To us it's far better not to have
someone that continues to refuse to learn blindness skills visit us in our
home than to have them come only to have World War III break out and someone
end up in jail or something like that! Anyone that has been around the
organization who knows us knows that there is a sad history to the comments
I made above.

    Thoughts of the 2001 National Convention still haunt us to this day. We
almost had a repeat of that event last summer were it not for this guy's
quick thinking concerning a roomming invite for the national convention. The
tone of our conversations leading up to the convention and several other
aspects of this invite matched those of one of the persons we let stay with
us in 2001 and the red flags went flying! This time the reg flags weren't
ignored. We thanked the individual that invited us to room with them and
made our own reservation and the convention went without a problem.

    Several chapter members have contacted this individual and expressed
their concern to them about this matter. I'm ready to celebrate Christmas
and let this one ride until the new year when we'll be holding our 2013
elections. For all we know the matter may all ready have been taken care of
and there'll be no need to worry. For the record we've had many
federationists and others stay with us over the years. They've all used
travel aids and have various degrees of profficiency with them and other
blindness skills. As I said we know our limits and will choose our company
accordingly. Now to get ready for Christmas Vespers From Davidson College
and to enjoy a delicious plate of spaghetti.

Peter Donahue