[nfb-talk] I understand.RE: nfb-talk Digest, Vol 55, Issue 94

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Fri Dec 28 16:44:13 UTC 2012

Ashley:

First, what to do? Sit back andd relax. There really isn't time to influence your senators or congresspersons before we go off the cliff.

Second, NFB doesn't lobby; we "educate". We wish to keep our 501c(3) status with IRS. Lobbyists aren't charitable entities so are taxed.

Third, the case of SSDI and how its funded isn't simple. However, I shall forbear getting into this since it will rile people of both liberal and conservative persuasions.

Fourth, the best way to g3t to know your senators and representatives is to come to Washington Seminar. That way, you'll become acquainted with legislative aides that handle our issues of interest. Other than that, I don't think it makes a lot of difference whether one contacts the local congressional or senatorial office or the one in DC since opinions on issues are almost always aggregated and forwarded to the elected official unless one has a personal friendship with the political representative one is working with. I usually call the DC office, though.

Mike Freeman
sent from my iPhone