[nfb-talk] fw: [nabs-l] fwd: Brailler for Haiti

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 21:32:21 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I think this is a wonderful cause and one worth supporting! As
blind people, most of us know how important Braille is to us in
our daily lives (and the sighted people I'm forwarding this to
know how important it is to the blind people you are associated
with,) so let's help blind children who are less fortunate learn
the code so they too can experience literacy, both for learning
and for pleasure! If you have a Braillewriter that could be
donated for the kids in Haiti, please contact Amelia Dickerson at
ameliadickerson at gmail.com or me at dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com.  If
you contact me, I will forward your email to Amelia.  Sorry, I
don't have a phone number at this time.  Ross, can you put this
in the Ziegler's Special Notices section, and Gary (Wunder) in
the Monitor wherever appropriate? Please feel free to pass this
on to anyone you feel might have a helpful resource or would know
someone who does.  By the way, the email below came to me from
the NFB's National Association of Blind Students (NABS) list
serve.
Thanks,

Chris Nusbaum

Here is the original message from Amelia:

I am sending this to a broad swath of people who just might
possibly
have access to some sort of resources.  If nothing else, you
might know
someone else who would have access to resources.

In exactly a month, I will go to Haiti, where I have a chance to
follow up with a Haitian kid who is in an orphanage and is blind.
couple of weeks before, a TVI will have just a few days to teach
him
the beginning of braille and reading, and than I can pick up with
teaching him a little bit more based on what he has done in the
intervening couple of weeks.  The person who is going before me
is
going to two orphanages to work with two blind kids, and she will
bring one brailler with her.  The two orphanages are far enough
apart
to require either a very long drive or a plane ride, so only one
kid
will get a brailler.  However, if I could bring a brailler with
me, she
could leave the brailler with the orphanage I will not be able to
go
to, and I could bring one for the kid who is in Port au Prince.
Do any
of you know of a brailler that could use a loving home? That
would be
the easiest solution.  However, another option is that maybe you
know
of a brailler that could be purchased at cost or for less than
the
full market value.  And finally, maybe you would be willing to
donate
towards purchasing a brailler.  Any donations can receive a
receipt for
tax deductions.

If you want more information, I am happy to give it to anyone who
is
interested.  And if you can help me with networking to track down
brailler, I would appreciate that greatly.
Amelia

--
Amelia Dickerson

What counts can't always be counted, and what can be counted
doesn't
always count.
Albert Einstein