[nfb-talk] Getting The Message Out

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Fri Jul 13 00:47:04 UTC 2012

From: Robert Leslie Newman, president
National Federation of the Blind Writers’ Division

Writers’ Division Announces New Resource
for Affiliates, Divisions, Groups & Chapters

As Federationists changing what it means to be
blind, we all have important stories – stories
that the sighted public and the not-yet-blind
need to hear. We can share them simply by living
our lives or by speaking to groups, but to get
wider coverage, we need to engage the media.
Getting press attention, however, is often
considered a daunting prospect by those with no
public relations experience. That is, until now.

The NFB Writers’ Division is pleased to announce
its new “Guide to Writing Press Releases,” a
free, step-by-step tutorial on getting press
attention. Designed by volunteer NFB publicist
Donna W. Hill in consultation with other Writers’
Division members, it is geared to
nonprofessionals who want to make a difference.
Learn how to recognize a news-worthy story, what
the media is looking for and how to give it to
them. Read examples of press releases that led to
media coverage. Download a template for creating
a standard document that you can store and re use.

Come experience this light-hearted, inspiring and educational resource at:
http://www.nfb-writers-division.net/education_station/press_release_guide.cfm

For further information about the creation of
this resource, check out “Wing’s for Our Stories”
by Donna W. Hill in the June, 2012 Braille Monitor:
http://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm12/bm1206/bm120611.html

Braille Monitor editor Gary Wonder, in the intro
to Donna’s article, says, “Every affiliate should
be lucky enough to have a member who makes sure
that the media are well aware of the good work being done by Federationists.”

We at the Writers’ Division welcome your feedback
and questions. And, don't forget to share your successes!