[nfb-talk] Audible.com to exclude Victor Reader Stream

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Sun Feb 3 00:34:14 UTC 2013

More to the point, I think it's important that we not make this into something it isn't.

It seems to me that Audible is now making an exception in the case of the Stream. They may be doing so by the fact that the new model of the Stream is another Stream, which is already supported. Thus, they're maintaining support for an existing line of devices. The Bookport DT, on the other hand,may be considered a new device line, and thus Audible may not support it on that basis, as they aren't adding support for new devices, generally speaking, electing instead to support only iOS and Android devices moving forward, possibly also Windows and Blackberry, but who knows.

This isn't a case of Audible picking on us poor unfortunate blind people, but rather of Audible  applying their existing policy to blindness specific devices.

Let's also not conjecture that Amazon, the parent company, is going to extend its persecution of the blind by having Brilliance audio stop providing content to NLS. There is absolutely no factual basis that I'm aware of to jump to such a conclusion, Kindle's inaccessibility aside. (Kindle is a special case, and almost feels like a separate company from the whole rest of Amazon anyway.)
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY