[nfb-talk] Audible.com to exclude Victor Reader Stream

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Wed Feb 6 20:52:32 CST 2013


But why should we expect special treatment because we use specialized
devices when it's fairly clear that Audible will still support its iPhone
app? Yes, many blind folks don't have iPhones. But many don't have Streams,
either. So what you're saying by maintaining that you are being
discriminated against is that Audible should support every specialized
device. Ain't a-gonna happen, mhy friend.

Mike


-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-talk [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Loren
Wakefield
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 11:10 PM
To: 'NFB Talk Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [nfb-talk] Audible.com to exclude Victor Reader Stream

I'll give you what you've said is true Dave.  However, aren't we back to the
same thing in a not so direct way?  Even if they are not saying it directly
and outrightly, they are choosing to discriminate against those of us  who
are blind.  Even if it is an unintendeded consequence, it still is
discrimination against us.  And once it is brought to their attention, then
it becomes blatant and by design.  

The "weare a small minority and therefore are not high on their priority
list" thinking is getting old.  As you've said, target and others are now
trying to make things accessable for us.  Ordering from Amazon is fairly
easy.  There's no reason Audible and the kindle can't be as easy.  I truly
believe we are equal to the sighted community and our currency is just as
green and legal tender of this country as is the money our sighted peers use
to exchange for goods .  We should be able to participate along side of them
and enjoy the fruits of our labors as well.  

Loren 

 

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-talk [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of David
Andrews
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:43 PM
To: NFB Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [nfb-talk] Audible.com to exclude Victor Reader Stream

I would agree that Audible is probably relatively independent.  I also don't
think that Amazon has made a decision to be "blind unfriendly."  They just
have a raft of competing priorities -- and because of the small number of
blind persons, we rank low on the list.

It can get more complicated -- loosing the large Department of State
contract may have gotten their attention, but we will never know.

Sometimes corporations dig in their heels, like Target, and who knows why.
However, for whatever reason, they, Target are now working hard on
accessibility.  And ... most people don't have the technical awareness, or
the experience of working for a large complex multinational corporation to
know how complicated it all can be.  Their web sites are complex and dynamic
in ways that those of us with a little basic knowledge of html, can't begin
to understand.

Dave

At 11:56 AM 2/3/2013, you wrote:
>Dave, in large  part, I cannot and do not quarrel with what you say 
>here.  Nevertheless, it does seem to me that, with Amazon not being 
>willing to listen to the NFB when we ask for accessibility to the 
>dKendal and better access to other stuff from Amazon, well, seems to me 
>they are looking for a fight.  Yes, audible.com and Amazon are linked 
>so far as password access may be concerned, but, it's my belief that 
>Audible still retains independent control over that which was once 
>theirs.  I think that, until we receive hard evidence that Amazon is 
>telling Audible not to be at all blind friendly, we ought perhaps to 
>assume that they will.  Fair enough?
>
>
>Sent from my mac
>Sincerely,
>The Constantly Barefooted Ray
>Still a very proud and happy Mac and Iphone user!
>
>On Feb 3, 2013, at 11:44 AM, David Andrews <dandrews at visi.com> wrote:
>
> > Folks, unlike what some people want you to believe,
> Amazon/Audible have not singled out the blind.  They have a policy of 
> only supporting Apple iOS and Android apps, and have stopped 
> supporting other new devices including many MP3 players that sighted 
> persons use.  Further, it would appear that since they now support the 
> Stream -- that they will support the new Stream.
> >
> > I don't agree with everything that amazon does -- they are not
> very blind friendly -- but let's be fair.  We can't expect cooperation 
> and work on their part if we shoot them down for something that 
> applies to everybody.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > At 07:42 PM 2/2/2013, you wrote:
> >> Is begging to have someone take them to court.
> >>
> >> Loren
> >>
> >> Let's hope so Michael.  Is amazon asking to have a fight?  It seems 
> >> that their reluctance and outright refusal to let the kindle be 
> >> accessible,
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: nfb-talk [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
> Michael D.
> >> Barber
> >> Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:44 PM
> >> To: 'NFB Talk Mailing List'
> >> Subject: Re: [nfb-talk] Audible.com to exclude Victor Reader Stream
> >>
> >> I just heard from someone yesterday who received an e-mail from
> Audible.com
> >> that they are indeed working to restore this.
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: nfb-talk [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of 
> >> Jim Portillo
> >> Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:15 PM
> >> To: mike at michaelhingson.com; 'NFB Talk Mailing List'
> >> Subject: Re: [nfb-talk] Audible.com to exclude Victor Reader Stream
> >>
> >> I saw something on Twitter that said otherwise.  I read that they 
> >> were working on making their books accessible and useable by new 
> >> Victor Stream users.
> >>
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: nfb-talk [mailto:nfb-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of 
> >> Michael Hingson
> >> Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 12:43 PM
> >> To: 'NFB Talk Mailing List'; 'Research and Development Committee 
> >> (appointed)'
> >> Subject: [nfb-talk] Audible.com to exclude Victor Reader Stream
> >>
> >> As you may know, Audible.com has chosen to exclude devices used
> by the blind
> >> like the Book Port Desktop and the new  Victor ReaderStream from 
> >> using Audible. Below please find some important information which 
> >> includes an email address to write to about this unfortunate situation.
> >>
> >> Bob Acosta
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>    Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> I wanted to provide everyone with an email address to send a
> complaint email
> >> to Audible about their decision to no longer provide access to 
> >> audible content to the new Victor reader Stream. I telephoned 
> >> Audible this morning and was advised that the more complaints 
> >> received by Audible,
> the better the
> >> hope is that the policy will change. The email is 
> >> greatideas at audible.com Yes, I confirmed the address several times 
> >> and this is the address used by the department which deals with
accessibility features.
> >>
> >> I have no proof of this, but I suspect that this is the first step 
> >> in the process of limiting audible access to devices used 
> >> exclusively by the visually impaired community such as the Stream, 
> >> the Bookport and
> others. Not
> >> everyone has access to or can afford an Iphone and I, for one,
> am distressed
> >> at Audible's business decision here.
> >>
> >> Please consider sending an email to audible asking them to be more 
> >> accessible and continuing access to the stream, the bookport and 
> >> other devices for the visually impaired community. If we all make 
> >> some effort, maybe we can work together to improve access for 
> >> everyone who is visually impaired.
> >> I have confirmed this from several sources.  Audible, or should we 
> >> say Amazon who owns Audible.com, is limiting the devices it will 
> >> support for playing Audible books.  Devices such as the new Victor 
> >> Reader Stream and other systems we use to read these books are 
> >> excluded from supported devices.  This is deplorable for a variety of
reasons.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> I urge everyone to write Audible opposing its position and 
> >> requesting that Audible support book readers developed for use by blind
persons.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Best,
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Michael Hingson
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Michelle
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Robert Acosta, President
> >> Helping Hands for the Blind
> >> Email: boacosta at pacbell.net
> >> Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used 
> >> computers to us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, 
> >> please mail us at the above address.


_______________________________________________
nfb-talk mailing list
nfb-talk at nfbnet.org
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nfb-talk_nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
nfb-talk:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-talk_nfbnet.org/theweird1%40centurylin
k.net


_______________________________________________
nfb-talk mailing list
nfb-talk at nfbnet.org
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nfb-talk_nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info for
nfb-talk:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-talk_nfbnet.org/k7uij%40panix.com




More information about the nfb-talk mailing list